Egiya-Kapay synagogue (Jewish prayer house) is also known as Remeslennaya (Craftsmen’s) synagogue, since it was the local craftsmen who donated the money to build it. It now belongs to the Progressive Judaism community of more than 100 believers. The synagogue is also open for tourists.
The central entrance to the synagogue is in the western side of the building. Thus, the opposite wall with the altar is in the east, pointing to where Jerusalem is. There is the Star of David and some Biblical symbols above it: a stylized picture of the altar that Moses built at the foot of Mount Sinai and of the Ark of the Covenant with the Tablets of Stone on which the Ten Commandments were inscribed.
The synagogue performed its religious functions for nearly 20 years. But in 1930 the Soviet government closed it, and the building was used for other purposes. In the days of Second World War the Nazi converted it to stables.
It was not until Ukraine gained its independence that the synagogue was returned to the Jewish community of Eupatoria. It took a long time to restore it, but on 16th August 2003 it was finally sanctified again.
Egiya-Kapai synagogue currently belongs to the Progressive Judaism community of more than 100 believers. The synagogue is also open for tourists.
Prosmushkinyh str. 34
Working hours: Fridays, 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., 6.30 p.m. – 9 p.m.