Виртуальный тур по Крыму – отдых в Крыму! Путешествуйте по карте Крыма,
посещайте достопримечательности, наслаждайтесь природой Крыма, смотрите
панорамы на 360 градусов. Выбирайте гостиницы и санатории для Вашего
отдыха в Крыму.
35th Coastal Turret Battery is one of the most fortified and most armed defense coastal fortifications of the Black Sea outpost. The need for construction of such fortified batteries was obvious right after analyzing siege of Port-Arthur (1904) which took place during the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905.
Park of Afghan Veterans is the former Lenin’s Komsomol park. The park was given a new name on 15 February 1999. The park features the Monument to those who died in Afghanistan. There are 19 cypresses planted in the Alley of Memory to commemorate the 19th anniversary of withdrawal of the Soviet troops from Afghanistan.
Ancient settlement “Belyaus” is located not far from western extremity of Donuzlav sandbar.
A Greek settlement appeared here in the second half of the 4th century BC. This settlement represented a large fortified estate.
Armenian church is a beautiful religious building that is now considered a monument of architecture. It was constructed in 1885 by the Armenian community of Eupatoria. The church of Saint Nicholas (Surb-Nikogaios in Armenian) is built as a basilica with semicircular apse in the eastern wall. The main difference of this church from other religious buildings is its mixture of architectural styles.
Shores of Artillery Bay became a place of active construction right since the foundation of Sevastopol. Artillery Bay is located in central part of the city and it derived its name due to artillery magazines and cannon shot stores which appeared on its shores during that time.
Baydar Gate is a mountain pass through the main ridge of the Crimean Mountains connecting the Baydar Valley (the so called Crimean Switzerland) and the Southern coast of Crimea. The Gate is crowned with an antique portico. From the elevation of over 1600 ft. one can observe spectacular scenery of the surrounding landscapes.
Townlet of Chernomorskoye is located on shores of Uzkaya (“Narrow”) Bay which is well-protected from storms and winds by its shore lines. This bay always had a good reputation among sailors. And it was a reason why the Greeks named this place “the Beautiful Harbor”.
Bolshaya Morskaya (Great Marine) Street is one of the central streets of Sevastopol, and is a section of central part of the city. Bolshaya Morskaya Street is located between Lazarev Square and Ushakov Square. The street appeared in 1786 soon after foundation of Sevastopol and it was named as Morskaya Street (Marine Street). At that time it was starting from modern Nakhimov Square.
Cembalo Fortress is one of the landmarks of Balaklava and is clearly visible from any point of Balaklava harbour. It is not difficult, even for the elderly people, to ascend up to its majestic ruins, as a comfortable road leads to the top of the hill.
Central Library named after Leo Tolstoy is one of the oldest libraries of Sevastopol and southern Ukraine. It was opened in January 1901 as public library. It was based on a collection of books donated by private individuals. Access to the Library was not free and admittance cost was the smallest – 1 ruble per year.
Chersonesus Taurica is a polis founded by Greek colonists on Heraclea Peninsula on the south-western coast of Crimea. Today remains of ancient Chersonesus are located within Gagarin district of Sevastopol. For 2000 years Chersunesus Taurica had been a great political, economical, and cultural center of the Northern Black Sea coasts.
The church of St. Elijah the Prophet is an operating Orthodox church designed by A.L. Genrikh (Eupatoria city architect) after a Byzantine model. It was sanctified in 1918. The building of this church is a monument of architecture protected by the state. It is located in the city quay and is always shown in the popular guided tour «Minor Jerusalem».
In 1987 a historical and local lore research museum was unveiled in Chernomorskoye, which is now a sub-division of the Crimean Republican Establishment “Historical and Archeological Reserve ‘Kalos Limen’”. Most interesting archeological discoveries are represented in exhibition halls.
There is an interesting religious structure in Eupatoria. It used to be the monastery for wandering Muslim ascetics, or dervish tekke. Here the dervishes danced their ritual dances, rising above the secular thoughts and becoming closer to God. The monument includes three structures built at different times: the coffee shop of 19th century, Shukurla-Efendi mosque and the tekke building.
Almost 4 miles from Sevastopol, on top of Sapun Ridge, near the glorious Obelisk of glory, there is a strict semi-circular building. Diorama “Storming of Sapun Ridge on 7 May 1944” featured the life-size pictures of people on the front for the first time in art. .
Egiya-Kapay synagogue (Jewish prayer house) is also known as Remeslennaya (Craftsmen’s) synagogue, since it was the local craftsmen who donated the money to build it. It now belongs to the Progressive Judaism community of more than 100 believers. The synagogue is also open for tourists.
There is an unusual eye-catching building in the Duvanovskaya str. It used to be the mansion of Yu.M. Gelelovich, a local tradesman; it was built in 1912 in the Mauritanian style. Now it houses the Museum of local history that collects various items related to development of Eupatoria, military operations in its vicinity and objects found in the excavation sites.
The Northern Side of Sevastopol Bay is fortified with two coastal batteries – Fort Michael and Fort Constantine. During the two sieges of Sevastopol these batteries defended the city. Since 2010 Fort Michael has been an edifice of Sevastopol Military and Naval Museum.
«Odun-bazar Kapusy» (Wood Market Gate) used to be the main gate of the medieval fortress of Gezlev. This gate was built in the end of the 15th century and remained in its place for over four hundred years, surviving the sieges by Zaporizhzhya Cossacks and wars between Russia and Turkey. It hosts the café-museum of Crimean Tatar cuisine bearing the same name.
The Gorky quay in the resort city of Eupatoria is a very beautiful place that attracts both tourists and residents of Eupatoria. Here you will find refined antique architecture, modern entertainment, and wonderful view over the sea. Three rotundas are the symbol of the quay.
Grafskaya Quay is the main ceremonial wharf of Sevastopol, a peculiar emblem of the city, a landmark. It’s located in central part of the city on shores of the Southern Bay. Grafskaya Bay forms the naval façade of Sevastopol and represents one of the most important architectural dominants of its central part.
Historical Boulevard is located in central part of Sevastopol overlooking the South Bay 263 ft. above the main sea level. National Memorial Complex is located on Historical Boulevard, which unites more than 15 monuments and memorial signs of the Defense of Sevastopol in 1854-1855, including the renowned Panorama.
One of the oldest Orthodox monasteries in Ukraine can be clearly observed while going by train to Sevastopol. First Christians who settled there found shelter in caves made inside a cliff. Here one can observe Church of St. Clement which is also carved out in rock. From monastery one can get to remnants of Byzantine Kalamita Fortress.
Juma-Jami (Cuma Cami) or Khan-Jami mosque in Eupatoria is a Friday mosque for communal prayers. It is located close to the Karayev park, towering above the neighboring buildings. It can be seen from far in the sea or in the city. The Friday mosque in Gezlev was designed by a famous Ottoman architect Khoja Sinan.
Kalamita Fortress is one of the most interesting monuments of the Crimean Middle Age. It is located on the eastern bank of River Chernaya in south-western part of Monastyrskaya Skala (“Monastery Cliff”). High above the road, on the plateau of Monastery Cliff there are visible remains of fortifications, and in the lower part of the cliff there is an Orthodox cave monastery.
Kalos Limen (Greek for “Beautiful Harbor”) was a large ancient polis in Western Crimea.
It existed from the 4th century BC to the 2nd century AD in north-western part of the bay on site of modern village Chernomorskoye.
The complex «Karaite kenesas» was built by the Karaites of Crimea, one of the smallest nations in the world. It includes two sacred buildings (the bigger kenesa for communal prayers and the smaller one), a school, a museum, some memorials etc. There is also «Karaman», a café of Karaite national cuisine.
Laspi Mountain Pass is a mountain pass in the Crimean Mountains and the highest elevation point on highway Sevastopol-Yalta. The pass is located 765 yards to the north of Laspi Bay. A massive robust cliff named after locating engineer Nikolai Garin-Mikhailovsky is located on the pass where an observation platform is built, from where a wonderful sights of Batiliman and Laspi Bays and Cape Aya are unveiled.
Maksimov’s Dacha is located in Khomutova Gully and represents an estate complex with a landscape park created in late 19th – early 20th cc. by architect Valentin Feldmann. This unique park-museum is a preserve – a complex natural, archeological, historical and landscape park landmark.
On Nakhimov Square, there is Memorial of Heroic Defense of Sevastopol in 1941-1942. A memorial wall was constructed on Nakhimov Square in 1964, bearing 19 memorial plates with engraved names of Separate Coastal Army and the Black Sea Fleet troop units which had taken part in the defense.
The main Jewish synagogue of Eupatoria is also called Merchants’ synagogue. According to one set of sources, it was built in the first half of 19th century, but other sources mention that it was built in 1890s. It was partly demolished during the Second World War. In 2009 the façade of the synagogue was reconstructed using Jerusalem stone.
Monument to Alexander Kazarsky is the first monument erected in Sevastopol. It represents a bronze trireme with inscription on its pedestal “To Kazarsky. As example for posterity”. Lieutenant-captain Kazarsky was commander of brig “Mercury”, which became the second ship after line-of-battle ship “Azov”, which was awarded Naval St. George Flag and pendant.
Monument to Catherine II appeared in Sevastopol on 15 June 2008. A bronze sculpture of the Russian Empress took place on former Ekaterininskaya Street (literary: “Street of Catherine”. Modern Lenin Street). Sculptor Stanislav Chizh portrayed Her Majesty in full dress, her scepter in right hand, and the roll with decree about foundation of Sevastopol – in her left hand. Her face grand and calm.
This unusual monument appeared in the Theatre square in 2005. S.E. Duvan was the most famous mayor of Eupatoria. In the years of his being the head of the Eupatoria he turned a remote provincial town to an international resort called «Russian Nice».
131 ft. high monument “Soldier and Sailor” represents a sculptural composition in honor of those who fought in the Great Patriotic War. It is one of the biggest monuments on the area of the former USSR. Sculptural composition “Soldier and Sailor” was to be a part of a extended memorial complex, which will doubtfully ever appear.
Nowadays Chernomorskoye is changing its appearance significantly. Dusty narrow curved streets are replaced by boulevards and garden squares; instead of straw-roofed single-storey houses numerous modern shops, banks, hotels and office buildings appear.
The Museum of Postal Service in Eupatoria displays various photographs illustrating the evolution of postal service in Russia, Crimea, and Eupatoria.
The museum was opened on 24.02.2006 in the First post office after the latter was restored. The photograph collection of the museum is very interesting and continues to grow.
This museum was commenced as Museum of Sevastopol Defense and was created under initiative of those who participated in the Defense of Sevastopol of 1854-1855. they donated many personal belongings, photographs, documents, memoirs of defense participants, collections of firearms and cold arms, engravings by famous artists.
The Wine House is a new sight in Eupatoria downtown. A cozy basement houses a small but substantial exhibition on history of wine-making in Crimea in general and Eupatoria in particular.
This museum was created to because of high popularity of Crimean wines with the guests of Eupatoria.
One of recent undertakings in the cultural scape of Eupatoria is the new Museum of world sculpture and applied art.
The main part of its exhibition is displayed in the open air, so that its visitors could appreciate the sculpture while breathing in the healthy fresh sea air.
Nakhimov Square is one of the central squares of Sevastopol and part of central circular part of the city (the so called “central ring”). It is located in Lenin district of Sevastopol. Primorsky and Sailors Boulevards, Nakhimov Avenue and Lenin Street start from Nakhimov Square. The square of Sevastopol which was renamed the greatest number of times is Nakhimov Square in Sevastopol.
History of Sevastopol is a reflection of its port’s history. In 1802, Sevastopol was included into Taurida Governorate, and later was declared the main military Black Sea port of the Russian Empire. The city itself, initially designed as military settlement near naval fortress, developed and grew exclusively thanks to its port.
The Pharmacy museum of Eupatoria is housed in an old building in Karayeva street. A pharmacist named Roffe built it in 1897 to replace the oldest pharmacy in Crimea that was open here as early as in 1823. Even now you can still see some of the old pharmacy utensils, furniture and equipment in actual use.
Pokrov Cathedral is the main Orthodox temple of Sevastopol. It is located in Bolshaya Morskaya (“Greater Marine”) Street and surely draws everyone’s attention by its marvelous architecture and its domes glittering in sun. Today Pokrov Cathedral is one of the most beautiful landmarks of Crimea.
Primorsky (Seaside) Boulevard is located in central part of the city on shores of Sevastopol Bay. Refined ensemble of Primorsky Boulevard was formed historically and consists of interconnected and compositionally united parts, which were planned and renovated during different periods.
The Roman Catholic church of Eupatoria is now in service. It was built as early as in 1828 and survived the Soviet times.
Presently the Divine Service is performed here twice a week. Every Sunday it is visited by about 60 people. There are more than 100 parishioners.
Sapun Ridge (also known as Mount Sapoune or Sapun Hill) was a key defense position in outskirts of Sevastopol during the Great Patriotic War. Severe battles were fought there against German Nazi occupants during the valorous Defense of Sevastopol in 1941-1942 and the Crimean offensive of 1944. The name Sapun can be translated as “Soapy” Mount.
Sevastopol Art Museum was originally created as Sevastopol Art Gallery basing on part of collections belonging to Yalta Art Museum, museums of Moscow and St. Petersburg. Annually the Museum puts on display about 15 exhibitions, admits 100-150 thousand visitors, and conducts more than 1000 guided tours and lectures.
One of the most beautiful buildings of Sevastopol was built in 1956 under design of Soviet architect Valentin Pelevin. The Theater has a very wide repertoire. It makes successful staging of both classic and modern or avant-garde plays. In Sevastopol the Theater organizes its performances not only on its big stage, but also on an antique stage of an ancient Greek theater in Chersonesus.
Sinop Staircase is the most lengthy and conspicuous stair descent of Sevastopol. It was named so in honor of Sinop Battle, when a Black Sea Fleet squadron under command of vice-admiral Pavel Nakhimov defeated a Turkish squadron in Bay of Sinop. This staircase never existed before 1917. Instead, Sinop Street was located on a slope of the Central Hill.
St. George Monastery is a unique place of Cape Fiolent. According to a legend, it was founded in 981 A.D. by Greek sailors. Caught by a storm, these sailors were in a terrible shipwreck, and on seeing an inevitable death started to call Saint Great Martyr George for help. The Saint, after hearing their hearty cry, appeared on a big cliff near the shore and at once calmed the storm down.
The Cathedral bearing the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Eupatoria was founded in the end of 19th century. In Crimea it is second only to the Vladimir Cathedral in Chersonesos by its size, area and height. It is an important part of architecture of Eupatoria and is always shown in the popular guided tour «Minor Jerusalem»
Temple of St, Nicholas (Nikolaos of Myra or Nikolaos the Wonderworker) – is a unique pyramid-shaped temple, located on a high hillock in the middle of the Brotherhood Cemetery. It is the monument to heroic defenders of Sevastopol. In 2011 the Temple celebrates its 154th anniversary.
St. Paul and St. Peter Cathedral is located on the Central Hill of Sevastopol, and is adjacent to Sovetskaya Street. The Cathedral represents an iconic image of Russian classic architecture and is styled as ancient Theseus temple in Athens. This is unique monument of such kind in Crimea.
St. Vladimir’s Cathedral was laid on 15 July 1854 on the Central Hill of Sevastopol. During the Siege of 1854-1855, the construction was suspended and resumed only in 1858. The Cathedral is built in Byzantine style under design by professor of architecture. Konstantin Thon, the initial design was developed and changed by academician Aleksey Avdeev.
Submarine Museum in Balaklava is a monument of Soviet military engineering and fortification. It is located in the western mountain slope of Balaklava harbour and was created within 1957-1961 to protect submarines, overhaul facility and Black Sea Fleet command centre from a possible nuclear attack.
The Suvorov redoubt in the Tereshkova quay appeared in 2004. It was built next to the site of former headquarters of the Russian general during his stay in Yevpatoriya.
The bust of Suvorov was made by A. Maksimenko, a sculptor from Simferopol, and the ancient cannon was presented by the high command of the Navy of Ukraine.
The Chapel of St. George the Holy Martyr is located within memorial complex on Sapun Ridge and was built to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Victory over Fascism. The Chapel was erected on donations made by Orthodox citizens of Ukraine.
In 1838, Church of Saint and Pious Zakhariy and Elisabeth was built in Ak-Mechet. This temple became a center of Orthodox religion on Tarhankut peninsula. It served as landmark for naval vessels and was mentioned in sailing directions of the Black and Azov Seas.
On 9 May 1973, the Honor Guard was opened near the Eternal Flame right beside the Memorial Wall of Heroic Defense of Sevastopol in 1941-1942. The Eternal Flame with flowers and wreaths laid near it symbolizes the memory about those who died during defense and liberation of Sevastopol from German Nazi invaders.
The Malakoff is a strategic hill on Korabelnaya district of Sevastopol located to the south-east of city centre. The Malakoff is a world-wide famous site due to its valorous defense by Russian troops during the Siege of Sevastopol in 1854-1855 and by Soviet troops during the Second Siege of Sevastopol in 1941-1942 against German Nazi occupants.
The Monument to the Scuttled Warships was erected in Sevastopol in 1905 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Defense of Sevastopol, when Russian sailing men-of-war were scuttled across the bay “to prevent hostile warships from entering the harbour and thus to save Sevastopol”. The Monument is erected on an artificial tiny island formed of roughly shaped granite lumps 75 ft. from shore line.
In central part of Historical Boulevard there stands the Panorama “Defense of Sevastopol 1854-1855” – the world-famous monument to national feat of arms, our national pride. One episode of the 349-day long Defense of Sevastopol is depicted there – the day when defenders repulsed the assault on 18 June 1855.
The Sailors Club was built in 1954 to commemorate the Defense of Sevastopol of 1854-1855. The authors of the design were architect N.Bogdanov, with participation of chief “VoenProject” architect L.Kireev and chief constructor A.Shumilov. The idifice is constructed of Inkerman limestone in Russian Classic style.
The Turkish bathhouse is among the unique sights of Eupatoria. It is interesting mostly because it has existed here since 16th century. We do not know the name of its architect.
The building is notable for its simplicity of forms and elegance. By its design the Turkish Baths in Eupatoria remind of Suleiman’s Baths in Kefe.