Primorsky (Seaside) Boulevard is located in central part of the city on shores of Sevastopol Bay. Refined ensemble of Primorsky Boulevard was formed historically and consists of interconnected and compositionally united parts, which were planned and renovated during different periods.
Primorsky Boulevard was created on place where coastal battery Fort Nicholas once had been constructed before the Crimean War. The fort was blown up by the French in January 1856. Huge heaps of stone wrecks towered here for long time. Until 1885 the place was a dump-site with numerous taverns in stone huts.
In April 1883 City Duma (the name of city council) solicited about using the land plot of former Fort Nicholas to create here a new boulevard.
A new boulevard was ceremonially unveiled here on 1 September 1885. The boulevard was created to great extent due to efforts by engineer-hydrotechnician Fyodor Yerantsev. Gardeners M.Zavodovsky and F.Ebernus created the green plant decorations of the new boulevard. Creation of the boulevard cost Sevastopol about 45 thousand rubles and huge efforts.
Ruins of Fort Constantine were removed; limestone rock was in multiple sites blown up, where pits for three-planting were made. Numerous flower-beds were created; many trees were planted, including laurel-tree, olive-tree, chestnut, banana-tree, thuja, and cypresses. The central part of the main flower-bed was featuring numbers “1885” made of decorative green plants. The boulevard was decorated with terraced promenade squares overlooking the sea, bays, and the North Side with its fortifications – Fort Constantine and Fort Michael.
Primorsky Boulevard was fenced and divided into two section of access – paid and free zones. The entrance to the paid area was leading from Nakhimov Avenue. This paid area featured a biological station with aquarium opened in 1898, summer hall of City Assembly, and yachting club. Behind a fence the Boulevard used to come up to an open-air theater and Grafskaya Quay, where the entrance was free. Not far from this place there used to be the nest swimming places with clear water and comfortable bottom. Soldiers and sailors were prohibited to enter the western part of the Boulevard. A sign used to be here reading “No entrance for lower ranks and dogs”. This western area of Primorsky Boulevard was under incessant control of city council members and was constantly renovated and made better.
The Boulevard was a place where numerous lotteries, public holidays with fireworks, beneficent concerts for the sake of the poor citizens of Sevastopol took place.
The boulevard became the favourite site fro promenades among the privileged citizenry. The modern planning and decoration of Primorsky Boulevard were finished by 1905 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Defense of Sevastopol.
After the Great Patriotic War, the Boulevard stretched alongside Nakhimov Avenue starting from Nakhimov Square and up to Russian Dramatic Theater named after Lunacharsky, which was built in 1957 under design by architect V.Pelevin.
On 8 May 1979 a memorial sign was unveiled on embankment of Primorsky Boulevard commemorating the Black Sea Fleet squadron warships.
For the most citizens of Sevastopol, as well for many its visitors, Primorsky Boulevard is the most favourite leisure and promenade place.