The Vorontsov Palace
The Vorontsov Palace is located in townlet of Alupka near Ai-Petri Mountain, at its very foot. The former summer residence of an outstanding statesman Mikhail Vorontsov nowadays represents a museum. Visitors especially admire a landmark of gardening and park design – a wonderful park located near the Vorontsov Palace.
Among the green vegetation of a shadowy park, in the very center of Alupka, there is famous Vorontsov Palace. This unique landmark was built in the first half of the 19th century.
Epoch of Romanesque style is reflected in original design and striking originality of architectural forms. Each building is uniquely styled, and the walls laid with outstanding skill, as well as internal rooms’ decoration, continue to cause admiration of numerous generations of Crimea fans.
The Vorontsov Palace was constructed under design of English architect Edward Blore, and it incorporated labour of hundreds of civilian and serfdom workers – modelers, masons, carvers, joiners. The Palace is built of diabase which was mined not far from the Palace.
The Park was created by talented gardener and botanist Carolus Antonius Keebach. Local relief is used in such a skillful manner that an illusion appears that the Vorontsov Palace just “has grown” out of surrounding nature. The Palace was originally built as a summer residence for Mikhail Vorontsov (1782-1856), Governor General of Novorossiysk Governorate. The uniform ensemble of the Vorontsov Palace is formed by its several buildings – central, dining hall, library, guest hall, household edifice. The guest hall was later renamed into Shuvalovsky, because Sofia Mikhailovna Shuvalova, Vorontsov’s daughter used to live in one of its apartments.
Dining hall appeared the first within 1830-1834. Central building was built within 1831-1837 with its billiard hall being constructed in 1841-1842. Between 1841-1842 eastern wings, guest edifice, pentagonal household building, all towers were built, as well as decoration of the front court was finished. The last edifice of the Palace was constructed within 1842-1846 and it became the Palace library.
And finally, in 1848, the staircase leading to the central entrance of the Vorontsov Palace was decorated with famous sculptures of Medici lions, so well known to everyone who looked through postcards about Crimea. These lions were made in workshop of famous Italian sculptor Giovanni Bonanni. Completion of lion terrace finished decoration and the whole process of creating park and palace complex.
Photographs are donated by crimea-photo.com